When the Navy needed to replace the aging F-14 Tomcat, the budget wasn’t there for an all new aircraft. So, the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet was developed as a larger, more advanced derivative of the existing F/A-18 Hornet. The end result was an entirely new aircraft based on some existing designs. The F/A-18E/F is larger, has more powerful engines and can carry more weapons. By basing the Super Hornet on an existing design, the Navy found it easier to get Congressional approval. In the end, the Super Hornet came in on budget, on schedule and underweight. In the Iraq War, the F-18F was used in many ways, including close-in air support. It has a top speed of 1.8 mach. On board ship, the Navy flies both F-18Es and F-18Fs, which take the place of four different older aircraft.
- Challenge yourself with this 168-piece aircraft build
- Kit features a large assortment of bombs and rockets, separate cockpit access ladder, and recessed panel line detail.
- At 1:48 scale this model kit is molded in light gray and clear and comes with waterslide decals
- Recommended for ages 14 years and up. Required paint, glue, and tools sold separately.
- Recommended paint: Dark Gray, Flat Black, Flat Red, Flat Yellow, Gloss Dark Blue, Gloss Light Blue, Olive Drab, Semi-Gloss White, Steel, Transparent Green, Transparent Red