This specific model kit depicts the F-14A Tomcat variant. The F-14A was the initial two-seat, twin-engine, all-weather interceptor fighter variant for the U.S. Navy. It first flew on December 21, 1970. As a U.S. Navy fighter it fulfilled the dual roles of long range interceptor and air superiority fighter, and later bomber. Deployed from 1974 to 2006, it successfully employed a “swing wing”, which offered variable sweep. The F-14A, which covers most of the early variants, was the most prolifically-produced variant of the Tomcat. 79 were exported to Iran before U.S.-Iranian relations began to deteriorate, and later took part in the Iran-Iraq War.
– Fuselage length: 398mm; wingspan: 212mm – 408mm
– Moveable swing wing – it can be depicted at angles from 20-75 degrees.
– The aircraft is depicted in parked position, with landing gear deployed.
– Separate parts are included to depict the different airbag and sealing plate shapes with the wing at 20 and 75 dgrees.
– Canopy can be opened.
– Ladder and step components can be built in deployed or stowed positions.
– Comes with 3 marking options: 2 for high-visibility F-14As from the VF-84 (Jolly Rogers) and VF-2 (Bounty Hunters) U.S. Navy Fighter Squadrons, plus 1 Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) unit F-14A.
– Extra parts are included to depict the refueling probe and its bay, which were uncovered on IRIAF F-14s.
– 2 highly-realistic figures are included to depict seated pilot and Radar Intercept Officer (RIO).
– Missile parts depict air-to-air missiles: AIM-9 Sidewinders (x4), AIM-7 Sparrow (x4) and AIM-54 Phoenix (x4).
- Realistic cockpit interior, the canopy is a moving Part
- Parts recreate 4 ea. Of Phoenix, sparrow & Sidewinder missiles
- Full decals and instructions included.